Monday, March 9, 2009

The Snark is a lonely hunter

Peace thru Vandalism album coverImage via Wikipedia

Roger Ebert writes:
Snarking is cultural vandalism. I have arrived at this conclusion belatedly. I have been guilty of snarking, and of enjoying snarks. In the matter of snarking, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But it has grown entirely out of hand. It is time to put away childish things. I must restore my balance, view the world in a fair way, hope to inspire more appreciation than ridicule. No doubt there will always be a role for snarking, given the proper target and an appropriate venue, and I reserve the right to snark when it is deserved, as in certain movie reviews. But in general I must become more well-behaved.

I snarked. I, who claim to JumpTheSnark, snarked. Ebert is right; snarking is cultural vandalism. He is right that there will always be a role for snarking, and right again when he says it has grown entirely out of hand. I'm giving it up for lent.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: