Friday, March 13, 2009

Don't Stop the Presses

Francis Scott Street (1831-1883) obituary in t...Image via Wikipedia

Many People Wouldn't Care if Local Papers folded says a survey from the Pew Organization.

People don't know what they'd miss. I no longer subscribe to daily papers, but when I pick up a copy at the gym, I get a glimpse of a world I'd forgotten about.

The most poignant, heart-stopping moment is when I turn to the obituaries: a little slice of Grover's Corners, where time stops. Where we take a collective breath as we see who has left us, too soon, too late; who mourns, who struggled. Our little/big human stories as they came to the place where we all exit.

There's no web substitute for that.

R.I.P obits.

What would you miss?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: