Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Books and their covers


By now, everyone's seen Susan Boyle, the over-40 singing sensation from Britain's "You've Got Talent" show.
She's the new poster child for "You Can't Judge a Book By Its Cover" ; the antithesis of every 40-something woman on reality TV: un-retouched, un-botoxed, uncut by cosmetic surgery, unassuming, unpretentious, yet wonderfully talented.

Who woulda' thunk? Not Simon Cowell or any of the audience members caught rolling their eyes.

As I left a new media group this morning, I realized that to the assembled interactive marketers, I looked like Susan Boyle; over-40, unpretentious, un-retouched, unbotoxed, entirely forgettable. Wonderfully talented, but they'd never know because my packaging is so... un-remarkable; overweight, middle-aged, just plain. They don't even see me. I'm invisible to them.

So they won't hear me sing.

1 comment:

Anne Castro said...

I feel your pain, Susan. Just turned 49! Let's have lunch and bitch about the unfairness of it all.